Have you ever feeling burning in your body? Being confuse to heal?
Heartburn is a painful and hot sensation in the of the chest. This condition can worsen when lying down or looking down. Heartburn can be treated by reducing risk factors and lifestyle and drug changes gradually.
Heartburn is caused by increased stomach acid (reflux) from the stomach to the esophagus. When swallowing food or drink, the muscle at the end of the esophagus will enlarge to push food into the stomach and close it. However, if the muscle is weakened or affected, stomach acid can return to the esophagus and finally cause heartburn.
Some foods and drinks can increase the risk of heartburn, such as spicy food, onion, foods containing citrus or tomatoes, peppermint, chocolate, alcohol, and caffeine.
Besides the food mentioned above, pregnancy or obesity can also cause a higher risk of heartburn. Here are suggested lifestyle and home medicine that can help you deal with heartburn:
- Maintain the body weight, avoid being obese to reduce pressure on the stomach which further causes acid
- Avoid wearing tight clothing that can put more pressure toward the stomach
- Avoid the certain foods mentioned above as risk factors for heartburn
- Keep your body not lying down after eating, wait at least 3 hours
- Avoid eating before going to bed
- Eat fewer meals but more frequent portions are better
- Lift your head while sleeping (use a pillow)
- Avoid smoking to keep the esophagus functioning properly
Additionally, the medicine is still needed to concentrate the gastric acid, reduce the production of gastric acid, strengthen the sphincter, and treat damage to the digestive tract due to gastric acid. You can use the following medicines:
It is also known as ulcer medicine. This drug serves to neutralize stomach acid. Commonly this kind of medicine is available in the form of syrup and tablet. Several examples related to this kind of medicine are antacidado, promag, mylanta, etc.
- H2 Receptor Blocker
This drug is recommended to reduce the production of gastric acid. Here are several examples of H2 Receptor Blocker are cimetidine, famotidine, nizatidine, and ranitidine. May this drug does not work antacids but can provide longer assistance and eventually can reduce stomach acid production for up to 12 hours.
- Proton pump inhibitors
These blockers are stronger against acid production than H-2 receptor blockers. This kind of inhibitors serves more time for damaged esophageal tissue to repair itself. Some examples of the inhibitors are lansoprazole and omeprazole.
- Sphincter amplifier
The medicine is used for strengthening the lower esophageal sphincter which is called Baclofen. The medicine can reduce the frequency of relaxation of the lower esophageal sphincter, therefore, it can reduce gastroesophageal reflux.
Here are several tips provided to help reduce the feelings of discomfort when facing this case. You can try to overcome it by following these natural methods.
- Apple. Apple is one of the beneficial fruit that produces natural anticide drugs. The substances found in apples can neutralize gastric acid. To get its best benefit, try to consume this kind of fruit after dinner.
- Banana. Just like the apples, bananas also contain anticides that can prevent gastric acid from causing heartburn.
- Coconut water. Coconut water can help neutralize the acid content in the stomach. Coconut water can regulate pH levels in the body which can prevent heartburn and other diseases related to digestion and stomach.
- Honey. Long ago, honey was known as a material that contains many benefits inside. You can reduce sugar consumption, and replace it with honey to prevent heartburn. Honey can also neutralize gastric acid.
- Ginger. The substances in ginger can absorb gastric acid and help relieve nerves. Nutrients and organic compounds in ginger show sedative effects, reducing pain and discomfort. Also, it is beneficial to eliminate inflammation by becoming an acid barrier.
- Almond Nut. Almonds are very good for digestion because its high oil material can neutralize gastric acid. No need to consume too much, just gradually taking 2-3 items to neutralize gastric acid.
If you experience heartburn, it’s best to deal with it naturally first, rather than taking any chemical medication. However, if heartburn continues to the worse condition, it is better to immediately consult a doctor.
Heartburn during pregnancy
Heartburn stomach often happens during pregnancy even sometimes giving panic reactions toward pregnant women. Heartburn can occur especially for pregnant women, but it can be explained scientifically. Here, food in the stomach is pushed towards the esophagus due to an enlarged uterus. So that irritation occurs in the walls of the esophagus, where food is mixed with gastric acid which contains acidic properties. It revealed that pregnant women who have a history of ulcers have a higher risk of heartburn than other normal pregnant women.
The hormone progesterone can also trigger the effect of heartburn which increases for supporting the growth of the fetus in the womb. Progesterone is indeed functioning to make the muscles of the body relax. Unfortunately, this is including the valve of the abdominal cavity that further becomes more elastic. As a result, the gastric acid easily gets in. This feeling of heat, however, sometimes even accompanied by nausea. These sighs occur for several months at the beginning of pregnancy and even the whole pregnancy period. Heartburn can cause discomfort to pregnant women which are generally occurring in the first and third trimesters of pregnancy.
Abdominal heat makes you feel uncomfortable even can interfere with the activities. Try several ways to help prevent and overcome them:
- Loosen the clothes
- Give special attention to dietary habit. Avoid spicy, overly acidic, fatty or sharp spicy foods
- Avoid even reduce the consumption of coffee and chocolate
- Consume more fiber substances from fruit, wheat, and vegetables
- Keep the dietary habit including the time for supper
- Chewing candy to increase saliva production to neutralize gastric acid
- Try to drink a glass of warm milk before going to bed
- Hold the head with the pillow a bit higher. This is good to maintain your body position slightly upright